Are these WiFi cards "legit"?

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I have an older laptop that only has the half minicard type PCI-e slot and I came across This I do know Intel does not make the AX210 or AX200 in the HMW form factor so I'm thinking it is probably one of the integrated solder down modules under the metal RF shield? I do know adapter boards do exist but there is not enough room for that type of solution, so does anyone know if this is really an AX210 chipset? I bought one already and I should have it in a few days but I'm just curious to know more about how they managed to get the NGW only card into the HMW type of card

Thanks

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
yeah seems odd to me too. guess youll see in a few days. hopefully your laptop doesnt have a stupid internal whitelist....

Format _C:

2[H]4U
internal whitelist
What's that mean? The laptop in question is a Dell Precision M4800
I'll post back once I install it but the reviews (not that Amazon reviews mean much with the paid reviews and what not) seemed OK and someone said it was recognized as an Intel AX210 so I think it probably is the soldered down version of the card under the RF shield

GiGaBiTe

2[H]4U
What's that mean?

Many models of laptops for decades have whitelists where only "sanctioned" wifi cards will work on the machine in question. If you install a non-whitelisted wifi card, it won't work at all because the BIOS will lock it out. These whitelists are often not published, so it's impossible to know what wifi cards will and will not work, unless the model of laptop is popular enough to have community support to figure out which cards will and won't work. Otherwise, you have to go on the short list of drivers listed for the laptop on the OEM site and hope those work.

Laptop vendors insist that the whitelist is for "FCC Compliance", but it's been confirmed BS ad nauseum.

To get a non-whitelisted card working on a laptop, you have to do BIOS mods to change the whitelist and add the specific card you want to use, which isn't always possible.

Format _C:

2[H]4U
Many models of laptops for decades have whitelists where only "sanctioned" wifi cards will work on the machine in question. If you install a non-whitelisted wifi card, it won't work at all because the BIOS will lock it out. These whitelists are often not published, so it's impossible to know what wifi cards will and will not work, unless the model of laptop is popular enough to have community support to figure out which cards will and won't work. Otherwise, you have to go on the short list of drivers listed for the laptop on the OEM site and hope those work.

Laptop vendors insist that the whitelist is for "FCC Compliance", but it's been confirmed BS ad nauseum.

To get a non-whitelisted card working on a laptop, you have to do BIOS mods to change the whitelist and add the specific card you want to use, which isn't always possible.
Ah great I hope Dell does not do this! Because the stock Intel 7260 sucks!

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I'm not removing the RF shield but I found This by searching so I think that is what is probably is and it installed fine and was seen as an Intel WiFi card
The Dell had no problem with it the only quirk is the Bluetooth LED no longer lights up hell even the BIOS says Intel Wireless and Bluetooth device as installed!
So I'm pretty sure this is 99% legit LoL!

DanNeely

Supreme [H]ardness

It is an FCC thing, just not the Federal Communications Commision. It's the Fat Cat Compensation program, that works by pressuring you to buy overpriced parts from the OEM instead of cheaper aftermarket ones. This FCC is also guilty of the trend for soldiered ram in laptops and most other crimes against repairability.