Are games cross compatible?

H-street

Supreme [H]ardness
thinking of getting a vive or rift just wondering if the games are all crossed compatible or if there are a lot of exclusive games for each headset?

SBSuperfly

Gawd
I have a Vive. There is a program called Revive that people use to play Rift games with the Vive. I haven't used it, so I'm not sure how well it works. Most of the content I enjoy is room-scale and requires the Vive controls to interact with the environment. The Rift doesn't have comparable controls yet, so games designed for room-scale and motion controls would not be cross compatible. If you just browse through the VR games in the steam store, you can get an idea of what games are playable on the Vive, Rift, or both.

Algrim

[H]ard|Gawd
tl;dr the company behind Oculus tried to lock games exclusively to their headset and a group figured out ways to make it work for 'everyone'. Eventually, Oculus declared defeat so theorectically VR games work with both now. Nothing to prevent them (Oculus) from trying again in the future. On general principle, I'd buy anything but a product from Oculus/Facebook now.

Last edited:

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
tl;dr the company behind Oculus tried to lock games exclusively to their headset and a group figured out ways to make it work for 'everyone'. Eventually, Oculus declared defeat so theorectically VR games work with both now. Nothing to prevent them (Oculus) from trying again in the future. On general principle, I'd buy anything but a product from Oculus/Facebook now.
This...