Apple Wants to Buy Cobalt Directly From Miners

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
According to Bloomberg (WARNING auto play video), Apple is in talks with mining companies to buy cobalt directly from them rather than letting their battery suppliers who would normally do this. Apparently, Apple is wanting to ensure they have a good supply of cobalt for the next five years or more so they won't have battery supply issues. However, they are going to be competing with the foresaid battery suppliers as well as carmakers. Regardless, they have plenty of cash so I'm sure they aren't going to have any issues gaining their own supply.

Apple is seeking contracts to secure several thousand metric tons of cobalt a year for five years or longer, according to one of the people, declining to be named as the discussions are confidential. Its first discussions on cobalt deals with miners were more than a year ago, and it may end up deciding not to go ahead with any deal, another person said.

Unless a new battery technology emerges which uses more readily available raw materials replacing ICE vehicles with electric cars is highly unlikely. Battery dependent devices will become more and more expensive as there are more and more electric cars.

"Yet another reason" to hate Apple!! They want to monopolize the cobalt production to keep, and to eventually raise the prices worldwide - for their own gain. Lovely company!

For a moment there, I was thinking: "There's a cryptocurrency called cobalt now?"
Its sad when I read a headline like that and before reading I start googling "best miner for Cobalt". Maybe I should RTFM before googling.
:hungover:

It gets worse. Most of the world's supply of cobalt comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo which is a "less than stable" country. It is described as "in transition from a civil war to a semi-presidential republic" by Wikipedia. Any political regression will further negatively effect the supply of cobalt. If you are going to invest in cobalt you might consider selling your Tesla shares as well...

It gets worse. Most of the world's supply of cobalt comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo which is a "less than stable" country. It is described as "in transition from a civil war to a semi-presidential republic" by Wikipedia. Any political regression will further negatively effect the supply of cobalt. If you are going to invest in cobalt you might consider selling your Tesla shares as well...
I am sure Apple can convince the US to go in and help out the poor people there to bring democracy and stability there.

This right here is why i'm not for current EV's. Current EV's ARE NOT enviromentally friendly when you consider they all eventually burn through lithium ion batteries which themselves use a resourse which is difficult to pull out of the ground and is limited.

Until we have new battery technology that is actually enviromentally friendly i'm not down with the current push towards EV's.

They want to monopolize the cobalt production to keep, and to eventually raise the prices worldwide
I'll wait until they declare themselves "The Lords of Kobol(t)".

Hahaha.. their advisory troops will look spectacular!

cylon4.jpg

Sounds like some people need some freedom

Feel bad for the people there indeed. So, most of this is found in a remote place in the Congo. This remote place will be demolished and the Earth will be raped of cobalt in no time so we can power our phones and cars. I can't see this being sustainable not to mention all of the land that's about to get demolished for this. The Human Race towards destruction.

My goodness! They are gonna mine every single raw material until there is nothing left! Anyone got a cobalt mine up for sale cheap? Hell, SEND in the MARINES!

Oh so Apple is going to be like the US Government now keeping strategic reserves of minerals and metals.

Waiting to see some lobbyist in DC get wind of this and try to add cobalt to the conflict minerals list (should it come from Congo).

Until orbital smelting and fabrication becomes a thing... hoarding precious catalysts on Earth is innevitable.

Apple has the smallest batteries around, this is not about supplies fears, its about being so freaking cheap they don't want to pay any middle men... they must find the 3$ they pay for the battery is just to much.

You can actually make some decent lithium ion cathodes without the need for cobalt. You will just lose some power density.

Back