Apple G5 PC

Magnos2k4

n00b
A months ago, I, being an Apple Tech, had to replace a case on a new G5 because one of the sensors had gone out on the inside and Apple replaced the case instead of the sesor. Well, I had been wanting to put a PC inside of one of these since they came out and now I have started it.

Day 1

Just a look at the outside
day1-1.jpg

The inside of the case as it comes from Apple w/o any compontents in it at all
day1-2.jpg

With most of the mounting brackets/misc other stuff removed from the inside. I have set it all aside for use later if needed
day1-3.jpg

I will be saving the from panel for re-wiring. I have to figure out the wiring in this but that will come later.
day1-4.jpg

The longest part of the day was removing all of these old motherboard mounts from the apple motherboard. Not a single one hooks up with a standard ATX motherboard.
day1-5.jpg

This what I was going to use as a backplate for the motherboard. (I ended up changing it with another one that you will see later.
day1-6.jpg

Day 2

Most of the day was spent removing a motherboard tray from an old desktop case that I had around. I am using this as a mount and will attach it later. It also helps in keeping things cheap and easy for this mod.
day2-1.jpg

I put a coat of primer on both the mother board mount and the back plate. I am probably going to end up painting them black or silver when I get everything cut and ready to be mounted.
day2-2.jpg

I will post more as it comes along.

neat so far... i would have opted to go for a lian-li backplate for 20 bux and then it would have filled the entire back of the case ne way and you wouldn't have those two fan holes there. but to each his own... i want to see more, keep up the good work

It looks nice so far, I was going to do that to a apple g5 case, but I ran short on cash.

I about drooled once I opened a G5 for the first time, and was also in awe about the size that apple used for heatsinks.
Oh you don't happen to know where I could get the G5 heatsinks?

Damn you're a &$%*^ ! I'd LOVE to get my hands on an empty case and do that! (Got any more lying around????) I'm definately watching this thread.

Scorpionjwp said:
It looks nice so far, I was going to do that to a apple g5 case, but I ran short on cash.

I about drooled once I opened a G5 for the first time, and was also in awe about the size that apple used for heatsinks.
Oh you don't happen to know where I could get the G5 heatsinks?

I believe that the heatsinks are soldered to the processor modules. Sorry man. :(

ProphetSix said:
Damn you're a &$%*^ ! I'd LOVE to get my hands on an empty case and do that! (Got any more lying around????) I'm definately watching this thread.

Sorry, this was the only one... You just have to be nice to an Apple tech that has to replace a case. Apple's cost to the techs is more than any other case (~$500) than I have seen... cept one that I saw for silent cooling (about $1200)

If you want to know where to get the G5 case with or w/o powersupply here is a site that sells the case.

G5 case
scroll to the bottom and see the cases.

That case sort of reminds me of the new Lian Li cases, with the holes in them and the reversed mounting of the mobo on the left side instead of the right...

Quick question... Anyone know where to get some white LED 92mm Fans? I found the coolermaster 80mm but I cannot find any 92mm. I am looking at doing the entire inside in white, so... If I cannot find any then I will just buy some LED fans and replace the LED's.

Blackdog said:
That case sort of reminds me of the new Lian Li cases, with the holes in them and the reversed mounting of the mobo on the left side instead of the right...

Lian Li got their idea from apple, not visa versa. ;)

I also have one of these cases to mod, but have yet to scrape together enough time to build it up. I want to do a complete stealth mod so that the case remains 100% apple on the outside. I can't bear to slice in a standard PC-case mount in the back. BTW, I got my case off ebay for $100 (but had to pay $75 to ship it to Tokyo :eek: )

I watch with increasing interest.

I like themark's idea of doing a complete stealth mod. I would say props if you could also work in a Mac mouse/keyboard/monitor, but honestly I'd dislike all three.

themark said:
I want to do a complete stealth mod so that the case remains 100% apple on the outside.

I was originally planning on it but, I couldn't find a micro-ATX motherboard that I liked and that had all of the features that I wanted. I do plan on keeping the front of the case stock looking. I will be modding whatever optical drive to move the button out of view.

I plan on putting my current system in it.

P4 2.4A @ 3.28
1GB Corsair PC4000 Twinx-Pro
Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
PNY Verto 6800GT
New HD (Don't know what size or spec yet but will be SATA)
New DVDRW Drive (Probably a Plextor)

I will be modding a power supply and creating an enclosure it out of plexiglass.
Right now money is holding me back for the rest of the parts.

nice... i love the look of that case. makes me wish i got new hardware for free/cheap... o well.

have fun!

DudeItsMe said:
I like themark's idea of doing a complete stealth mod. I would say props if you could also work in a Mac mouse/keyboard/monitor, but honestly I'd dislike all three.

The monitor would be easy, (just a ton of cash and an adaptor away), and the keyboard is possible, but not likely for me. Apple has really fallen flat on their peripherals lately. I have a black and aluminum PC keyboard that would suit the theme already. Their mouse is a beautifully sculpted and engineered piece of useless sh*t. I plan to put an Athlon 64 into mine, with a water-cool set up (all machined aluminum of course). I eagerly await your progress on this project as you tackle the front-mounted connectors and power supply.

Rock-on

Please, tell me you're not going to use Aluminum based waterblocks ...

Tos said:
Please, tell me you're not going to use Aluminum based waterblocks ...

Fill me in, O' wise one... I am but a noobie here. I sense impending aluminum doom... :confused: Is it an oxidation thing?

I beleive that the aluminum will corrode only if you mix aluminum watercooling parts with copper parts. That usually turns out poorly, but you can get anti corrosive water additives that can prevent that.

Back