Any new 3870 x2s in the works?

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
Anything new for 3870 x2 planned in the near future such as DDR4 or a 512bit memory bus? I was going to get the Asus one when it comes back in stock on Friday, but if something better is coming out the very near future, I will wait.

Kaldskryke

[H]ard|Gawd
Anything new for 3870 x2 planned in the near future such as DDR4 or a 512bit memory bus? I was going to get the Asus one when it comes back in stock on Friday, but if something better is coming out the very near future, I will wait.

DDR4? maybe, but 512bit bus? Not going to happen.

DDR3 -> DDR4 would not change anything much at all, I don't think the X2 is bandwidth limited.

R1ckCa1n

Supreme [H]ardness
The next card released by AMD will be the R700. The 3870X2 was a "refresh" of the 3870.

kadozer

[H]ard|Gawd
To answer the OP question here's a couple in the works that I have links of. I heard about Powercolor non reference ones planned but I have no links.

GECUBE 1GB (best looking imo) not sure if GDDR4 but overclocked

Sapphire Atomic Water Cooled (no specs) <--correct link

Powercolor and Asus have thier own non ref ones also with 4 dvi ports that were already posted on this forum.

DDR3 -> DDR4 would not change anything much at all, I don't think the X2 is bandwidth limited.
Less power estimated around 20 to 50 watts if I remember right from a review of the 2900 GDDR4.

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
ok, so nothing too exciting until fall when the r700 is released then it seems. factory OCed doesn't really matter too much to me, I can do that meself.

honestjohn

Gawd
To answer the OP question here's a couple in the works that I have links of. I heard about Powercolor non reference ones planned but I have no links.

Sapphire GDDR4 904 factory overclocked

GECUBE 1GB (best looking imo) not sure if GDDR4 but overclocked

Atomic Water Cooled (no specs)

Powercolor and Asus have thier own non ref ones also with 4 dvi ports that were already posted on this forum.

Less power estimated around 20 to 50 watts if I remember right from a review of the 2900 GDDR4.

The OP was asking about the X2's, isn't the Sapphire card you linked to a regular HD3870 Single GPU card?

Is there any word on when the Gecube card is going retail? Tweaktown had a review of it too, but I still dont see it anywhere.

Simpson5774

2[H]4U
Also the HD 4870 x2s are on the way with possible DDR4 I heard from somewhere

IT was posted all over the forums. As I said on all those threads, even if that card exists, and is planned for the june timeframe, ATi wouldn't finalize clocks or anything like that a full 4 months in advanced so that information atleast in part if not in whole is incorrect.

kadozer

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm a sucker for nice looking video cars I would return my video card for a GE CUBE turbo 3870x2 in a heartbeat if they just got off their asses and made it available already.
The 3870x2 revisions are coming for Q2 with improved bridge chip revisions and more optimizations to work with pcie 2.0.

I would get rid of my GTX for that Gecube turbo even though may just be a side-grade. It is sharp as hell, has some serious clocks. I would probably just skip the next offerings from Nvidia too.

Simpson5774

2[H]4U
I would get rid of my GTX for that Gecube turbo even though may just be a side-grade. It is sharp as hell, has some serious clocks. I would probably just skip the next offerings from Nvidia too.

As you said, sidegrade. the 3870x2 'is' better, but not necessarily at everything. The x2 is newer, but lets be honest. You have the 2007 subaru impreza STi, and what your trying to buy is the 2008 subaru impreza STi. Sure its got 5 more hp, is wider, its overall center of gravity is lower to the ground. It is newer, but its also a 5 door hatchback, I mean why would you want a 5 door hatch when you got a 4 door sedan.

On a side note it costs more to buy a used STi with low miles than it does to buy a new one now, I am guessing because of that 5th door.

Thats basically what going from an 8800GTX to a 3870x2 is. Tried and true for shinyness and an extra door (cpu), and extra things hold you back in the long run.

lt_shiro

2[H]4U
DDR4 isn't much faster than DDR3. DDR4 uses less power and that is about it. But it cost more than DDR3 right now.