AMD Radeon R9 295X2 and XFX R9 290X DD TriFire Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD Radeon R9 295X2 and XFX R9 290X DD TriFire Review - Will adding a single AMD Radeon R9 290X video card to the AMD Radeon R9 295X2 work? Will you get triple-GPU performance, ala TriFire CrossFire performance? This just might be a more financially feasible configuration for gamers versus QuadFire that provides a great gaming experience in Eyefinity and 4K resolutions.

jedimasterben

2[H]4U
A question for the first test (BF4 at 4K). With 2xAA, the 295X2 averages 56.3 FPS, but when trying to strain it apples-to-apples vs quadfire at 4xAA it increases to 59.7 FPS?

this has been fixed, thanks - Brent

Last edited by a moderator:

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Thanks for the review. I was curious how the 295x2 would work in tri-fire. I still am not able to get one at this time, but it did satisfy my curiosity.

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
A question for the first test (BF4 at 4K). With 2xAA, the 295X2 averages 56.3 FPS, but when trying to strain it apples-to-apples vs quadfire at 4xAA it increases to 59.7 FPS?

On top of this, in the first part, you say that tri-fire is not playable with 4xaa, and drop it down to 2xaa.

Yet, it the Apples to Apples graph, it shows tri-fire outperforming the quadfire setup.

haste.

[H]ard|Gawd
On top of this, in the first part, you say that tri-fire is not playable with 4xaa, and drop it down to 2xaa.

Yet, it the Apples to Apples graph, it shows tri-fire outperforming the quadfire setup.

I was wondering that as well. Only explanation I can think of is that they are using multiplayer as the test.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
In the introduction you have a TYPO for the MSRP.

fixed, thank you - Brent

Last edited by a moderator:

Brent_Justice

how do you guys like that sharp 4k monitor? how is the input lag?

There is no discernible input lag, and it runs at 60Hz at 3840x2160. I recently updated the firmware on it, before the update sometimes MST would not auto enable stiching on some video cards, now it does a better job just working correctly when plugging in video cards (i switch video cards a lot you can imagine.)

Brent_Justice

By 3 FPS AVG, which doesn't mean anything in these erratic and inconsistent multiplayer run-throughs. Keep in mind all run-throughs are different as its multiplayer.

The game felt choppy and more laggy during certain situations while playing the level. It's not something I can unfortunately display in a graph. You'd have to sit down and play it to feel what I feel, it just was close to being playable, but there were too many times during the level that the frmerate dropped to unplayable levels. Tanks exploding, fires burning with lots of smoke, moving around certain things in the game with certain effects dropped the framerate too low at 4X MSAA with TriFire. QuadFire however, had the performance to push through those problems.

Brent_Justice

I was wondering that as well. Only explanation I can think of is that they are using multiplayer as the test.

Of course, it is always multiplayer. We do not do single player tests for this game, every test you've ever seen is multiplayer.

gathagan

Gawd
By 3 FPS AVG, which doesn't mean anything in these erratic and inconsistent multiplayer run-throughs. Keep in mind all run-throughs are different as its multiplayer.

The game felt choppy and more laggy during certain situations while playing the level. It's not something I can unfortunately display in a graph. You'd have to sit down and play it to feel what I feel, it just was close to being playable, but there were too many times during the level that the frmerate dropped to unplayable levels. Tanks exploding, fires burning with lots of smoke, moving around certain things in the game with certain effects dropped the framerate too low at 4X MSAA with TriFire. QuadFire however, had the performance to push through those problems.

I wondered about that as well.
It might be worth mentioning those issues in your remarks on that section to forestall an endless repetition of that same question.

A spelling Nazi remark:
On your summary page, with regard to the BF4 results:
Thankfully in Eyefinity at 5760x1200 we see better from QuadFire, but still not quiet on the level of what we'd expect.
That should be quite, not quiet.

fixed, thanks - Brent

twzTechman

Limp Gawd
Having had my 2560x1600 monitor for several years, it has taken a long time for video cards to catch up. It wasn't all that long ago the the max you would see on any video card review was 2560x1600 resolution, and even then the game specs were turned down to get decent framerates.

As these cards (290x and equivalents) become 2nd and 3rd generation, it will be really exciting to get fantastic performance without paying upward of $2K for just the video cards.

Great review Guys! While I can't quite justify a set-up like this right now, it gives me something to look forward too.

GoodBoy

2[H]4U
Nice review Brent!

I was really wondering how the trifire would work, for all the reasons you mentioned in the review. Not as huge of a psu needed, about $900 cheaper.

Some really good scaling from 2 to 3 to 4 gpu's as well. Really good news for amd users.

Are the drivers improving for all games, or only new fresh games? I suppose older games are not likely to push the hardware as much, some inefficiencies in those likely not be a problem. Just wondering if the drivers seem to have stabilized the frame time issues the plagued the drivers for years (for 2 3 and 4 gpu setups), and if so, do those stabilization's apply even to older games such as Crysis (1), etc.

I do like to go back once in awhile and replay some older favorite games.

Still running nvidia 680 for now. Only got a single 24" lcd. I want to go to triple screens as soon as some really thin bezel-ed, well reviewed screens come along.

Max9R

Weaksauce
Yes... this review I was waiting for. Glad you guys did this :)

Now... looking at that price... anything thoughts of tri-SLI 780ti's vs tri-fire 290X's?

I think I already know how that'll turn out anyway at 4K res but it'd be interesting to see.

stm

Limp Gawd
Thanks for the review.... wow, hard to imagine that tri-fire isn't quite enough for 4K. Quad is budget busting :eek:

Naed

n00b
On page 3

(TriFire) perform well above one sine Radeon R9 295X2 video card. <- sine should be single

Elmy

Gawd

Here is mine hacked together until I get EK waterblocks. I have one more 295X2 coming in the next week or so for quadfire. Also ordering the new Corsair 1500i sometime next week in preperation for the other card arriving.

The Mac

Supreme [H]ardness
be carefull with that 1500i, there is a bug in the OCP if the cables arent loaded evenly

D1RTYD1Z619

Limp Gawd
Wouldn't it be better to go 3 290xs' price wise? They should have included that in the review.

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
Wouldn't it be better to go 3 290xs' price wise? They should have included that in the review.

That was mentioned in the conclusion:

In fact, three of the XFX R9 290X cards alone, is even cheaper with a combined price of $1,701. The R9 295X2 has the advantage of being silent and running cool using the liquid cooling. Three R9 290X video cards in your system would be very hot, and you'd need extensive internal cooling plus there would be less room between each video card.

ssnyder28

2[H]4U
Tri fire 290xs should run very similar to the 295x + 290x DD so I don't see any reason that they needed to include it.

Elmy

Gawd
290X cannot do 5X1 @ 144Hz thats the main reason i am running a 295X2. Also alot of motherboards are ony 16x/16x and can only run 2 cards.

Relayer

[H]ard|Gawd
Tri fire 290xs should run very similar to the 295x + 290x DD so I don't see any reason that they needed to include it.

Except they would need very very good airflow to stop throttling, which this setup didn't suffer from at all.

ecktt

Limp Gawd
Loved the review but question the summary. So we have diminished yet tangible returns with quadfire when compared to trifire for most games and so value sides with trifire. Do people who build these exotic setups even question value when building these rigs?! It comes off sound like this to me:

"I just spent $4K on a 4K monitor and probably $2k on computer parts other than video cards. I better try to save some cash with the video cards."

Imperium

n00b
Quick question: If I have an ASUS R9 295x2 and use ASUS GPU Tweak. If I get a 290x to use in Trifire, but get a non-ASUS brand, can I still use the ASUS GPU Tweak to play with the settings for the (non-ASUS) 290x card?