A8V not at its limit??

hanlin

Limp Gawd
I have an A8V Deluxe rev 2 so the agp/pci lock is working. However, I can't run 12 x 245mhz for some reason. This will only be at 2.94 and I can run at that speed without a problem. I've used memtest and there's no errors at 245. So why can't I boot up with 245mhz? Using Via for my Raptor will result in a reboot half way through loading XP. Using Promise gives me STOP error.

lithium726

[H]F Junkie
what processor? 2.94ghz is quite an overclock, i wouldnt be surpised if your chip was giving out before the board was. try dropping the multi to 10x or so and up your FSB and see what happens. im guessing you are running a 3500+? what kind of ram?

ThomasE66

2[H]4U
lithium726 said:
what processor? 2.94ghz is quite an overclock, i wouldnt be surpised if your chip was giving out before the board was. try dropping the multi to 10x or so and up your FSB and see what happens. im guessing you are running a 3500+? what kind of ram?

It's not a 3500+, then his multiplier would be 11. He must have a 3800+. Still, 2.94 is a VERY respectable overclock. I agree that dropping the multiplier is the best way to go if he wants to try for a higher FSB.

hanlin

Limp Gawd
I have an FX-55. I've tried lowering the multiplier to 11 and 10 but they still don't work.

ThomasE66

2[H]4U
Try dropping your CPU multiplier way way down, to like 5x or 6x. That plus an HT ratio of 3x should make the FSB the limiting factor. At least you should then be able to see where the bus actually tops out.

You board is most likely the problem, acutally the chipset rather. Most K8T800 Pro's top at about 230 or 240 fsb. Try useing a divider to keep the actual memory FSB down. It has literally almost no impact on performance, since the memroy controller is on cpu it reacts differently than the intel and xp systems. Also you might want to wait for asus to come out with a good bios, currently they are haveing massive problems with stability on winchester systems, the FX-55 may also expereince some issues, but i'm not saying i've really heard anything about the fx chips haveing problems, just saying it could be a possibility.

hanlin

Limp Gawd
Why would dividers not affect performance. Using Sandra shows over a 1000 mb/s drop with a 5/6 divider.

Captain_Insano said:
You board is most likely the problem, acutally the chipset rather. Most K8T800 Pro's top at about 230 or 240 fsb. Try useing a divider to keep the actual memory FSB down. It has literally almost no impact on performance, since the memroy controller is on cpu it reacts differently than the intel and xp systems. Also you might want to wait for asus to come out with a good bios, currently they are haveing massive problems with stability on winchester systems, the FX-55 may also expereince some issues, but i'm not saying i've really heard anything about the fx chips haveing problems, just saying it could be a possibility.

(Wow Desavoo with the name there dude). Um. I would agree that the Via chipset is the issue. the Nvida sets seem to oc much better. But.......... as well is What memory are you running, whats the Vcore set at. Alot of boards have a 2.5 x HTT setting and prefer it over the 3x. Mem timings could be the Issue. Right now its hard to say I belive we need more info on the system. If the memory your running isnt capable of running those speeds that may be a problem as well. So I say let us know what you got all the way from the mem to the PSU to what kinda cooling you have. That would be a great start.

The Cpt.

hanlin

Limp Gawd
Ok, my specs:

FX-55 @ 2.95 stable 24/7 1.75 Vcore
A8V Deluxe Rev 2
2x512 Corsair XMS PC3200XLPT 2.8V
PCP&P 510 Turbo Cool Deluxe
TDX #4 nozzle
DD 12V pump

Temps using ASUS Probe:
CPU: Idle 35C Load 48C (never seen it reach 50)
Mobo: 22C max

There is no 2.5 HTT setting.

Anything with CAS 2 will fail memtest. However, I can pass it with CAS 2.5. If it can pass at least 1 loop of memtest without errors, shouldn't it at least be able to get to desktop? I get just past when the XP boot screen finishes. Then it reboots. Could this have something to do with the CAS 2.5?

hanlin said:
Ok, my specs:

FX-55 @ 2.95 stable 24/7 1.75 Vcore
A8V Deluxe Rev 2
2x512 Corsair XMS PC3200XLPT 2.8V
PCP&P 510 Turbo Cool Deluxe
TDX #4 nozzle
DD 12V pump

Temps using ASUS Probe:
CPU: Idle 35C Load 48C (never seen it reach 50)
Mobo: 22C max

There is no 2.5 HTT setting.

Anything with CAS 2 will fail memtest. However, I can pass it with CAS 2.5. If it can pass at least 1 loop of memtest without errors, shouldn't it at least be able to get to desktop? I get just past when the XP boot screen finishes. Then it reboots. Could this have something to do with the CAS 2.5?

Ok here is what I would recomend.
Looks like all the pieces are good to go. The only parts that may be the hang up would be the Memory. Max rated for only about ddr 500 roughly, Next is I have tried and so have several others with the specific memory you are running and I have seen some of the corsair have some issues with the A64 platform. Not always the case but have seen it.
Ok so On to the recomendations...............

Run the CPU multi at 11X
Vcore is good 1.65 to 1.75 max
Vdimm run at 2.65 to 2.85 with TCCD chips you do not need high voltages on the mem.
HTT multi @ 3x
FSB start at 225 and go up from there
Run mem timings as tight as possible 2-2-2-5 and 1:1 timings (AKA 200)
You will prolly get to as high as 240 or so with those timmings.
Change the Timings to 2.5-3-3-7
Those timings should help you get much higher. atleast around 275 or so.
Be sure to run the AGP @ 67mhz to lock it. If Sata is causing issue with lock up try an IDE drive.
I also recomend to run a 1T timmings and not 2T as the perfomance hit is huge,
After that you can try for more and even lax the timmings more
like 2.5-4-4-8 or 3-3-3-8 or such. (normally wont need cas 3 till over the 300FSB mark)
You may also try running a divider-----

see if any of that helps and rember OC at your own risk....

The Cpt.

hanlin

Limp Gawd
I am already running 1T. I can get up to about 235 at 2-3-2-6 1T. I'll go up from there and see what happens.

Mark099

[H]ard|Gawd
The A8V is pretty picky when it comes to ram. I have spent the last couple of weeks trying different combos and checking around for others with problems or success stories. I have some OCZ Gold PC4400 that won't even run (at any speed) with this board.

To make sure it's not your ram, try setting the divider to 5:3 or 4:3. At 5:3, I am able to run stable with a 270Mhz FSB, multiplier at 9.5x, and HT at 800. My CPU craps out around 2.6Ghz, but anything less is rock stable.