While giving a lecture at New York University, Anita Sarkeesian outlined the 8 things she wants changed in video games. Hey, I have an idea! Maybe Sarkeesian can use the hundreds of thousands of dollars people have donated to her to fund her own game studio or maybe back other female developers instead of just constantly complaining.
- Avoid the Smurfette principle (don't have just one female character in an ensemble cast, let alone one whose personality is more or less "girl" or "woman.")
- "Lingerie is not armor" (Dress female characters as something other than sex objects.)
- Have female characters of various body types
- Don't over-emphasize female characters' rear ends, not any more than you would the average male character's.
- Include more female characters of color.
- Animate female characters to move the way normal women, soldiers or athletes would move.
- Record female character voiceover so that pain sounds painful, not orgasmic
- Include female enemies, but don't sexualize those enemies