5800X3D gaming review

SPARTAN VI

[H]F Junkie
I hate to rain on your parade but the campaign map is known to be rather buggy and have graphical issues.
Granted every Total War game since moving to Warscape had optimization issues, some more severe (Attila) than others (Shogun 2). I'm running the exact same build of the game, same rig, same settings. We can chalk up the performance gain to the one variable that actually changed - the CPU upgrade - or we can point at some ambiguous graphical glitch that no one on the planet can currently explain. Which explanation seems more logical?

Last edited:

Ranulfo

2[H]4U
Granted every Total War game since Warscape had optimization issues, some more severe (Attila) than others (Shogun 2). I'm running the exact same build of the game, same rig, same settings. We can chalk up the performance gain to the one variable that actually changed - the CPU upgrade - or we can point at some ambiguous graphical glitch that no one on the planet can currently explain. Which explanation seems more logical?

Eh, many people have pointed out the graphical issues with the new overmap. Maybe they've fixed them. The game has dropped off massively in players over the past 2 months and I'm not paying close attention to it now. Its had more active player loss than Rome2 did. Watching the multiplayer bugs at release was enough for me to shelve it. Perhaps they will get things fixed and you 3D owners will get 70 fps instead of 50. What I'm saying is, I wouldn't highlight this one game as a win compared to other games out there where it is a clear win.

NightReaver

[H]ard|Gawd
Eh, many people have pointed out the graphical issues with the new overmap. Maybe they've fixed them. The game has dropped off massively in players over the past 2 months and I'm not paying close attention to it now. Its had more active player loss than Rome2 did. Watching the multiplayer bugs at release was enough for me to shelve it. Perhaps they will get things fixed and you 3D owners will get 70 fps instead of 50. What I'm saying is, I wouldn't highlight this one game as a win compared to other games out there where it is a clear win.
? It seemed less like a special notice and more like someone just noticing a positive gain in a game they actually play.

It's useful knowledge nonetheless.

SPARTAN VI

[H]F Junkie
Patch 1.1.0 from April 5th did include "numerous performance optimizations," but I don't have any before and after 1.1.0 benchmarks to validate that. I do know from personal experience that the campaign UI is still quite buggy in 1.1.0 and its actually detrimental to performance, e.g. just mousing over building icons can torpedo my framerate to single digits on my 5600X. Doing this post upgrade still tanks performance, but now it dips into the 20s on my 5800X3D. As a prominent modder in the TW:WH community, I'm getting a lot of reports from folks experiencing the same issues with the UI performance. Good thing that the canned campaign benchmark doesn't display UI elements at all, so their buggy UI doesn't factor into the benchmark results. Since we cannot control for "optimization issues" it can't really be used to validate or invalidate my individual results until we get more data points from WH3 + 5800X3D users.

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
I'd just like to say, glitchy does not always mean bad perf. Sometimes glitches are caused by missing a whole routine, for instance, and if it's a complex one that could result in a big framerate boost.

Lakados

Supreme [H]ardness
Mine won’t arrive till after May 30’th according to my supplier. I am sad :(

noko

Supreme [H]ardness
I thought that myself, as all the reviewers seem to be using a 3090 in the review. would like to see it paired with a lesser video card like a 6600XT or 3060RTX just to see if it's still offering uplifting performance in 1080p /1440p for that type of buyer, AMD website has it in stock at $449 right now.

We have people that have been paying that much for the baseline of newer video cards and only fear (fair) to show it.
Just ordered one from AMD, will be replacing the 3900x. Tempted to update the MB as well from a B550 Biostar to MSI X570s Tomahawk so as to keep the 3900x still active with the Biostar board. Anyways it will be with a 6900XT.

ThisMonsterLives

[H]ard|Gawd
Finally got mine after FedEx refused to deliver it for several days.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.png
    CPU-Z.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 1

SPARTAN VI

[H]F Junkie
This past week I created and released a UI Performance Patch mod that resolved much of campaign map performance issues folks were complaining about. Need to go back and test WH3 on my 5600X now to make an apples to apples comparison with my 5800X3D to see what the real performance delta is.

D-EJ915

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't think they ever attempted delivery. Nothing was left on my door. I finally had to go pick it up myself.
With Fedex I'm honestly not surprised lol. Amazon should be delivering mine today, will be fun to see how it performs.

Wade88

Limp Gawd
I've usually had good luck with FedEx but Little Rock is not far from Memphis so this might be a difference. The local fedex delivery guy is the most dogs friendly driver I've seen since the 90's.